Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Little thoughts about pro gaming career




I recently got in tough with some of my former semi or pro gamer friends and talked about what they have been doing other than pro-gaming. Serveral of them are still doing successful pro graming and getting salary from sponsors. However, most of them made transition into different careers such as online poker, stocks, or school even. One thing I realized is that there are only few pros (even top world class wc3 players) who make enough money to support their living independently. Ironically, most of them lost either motivation or found more important things to do other than playing video games for living despite their success on their gaming career. Even if you can make a living off of playing video games, is it really something you can do during your entire life? I do not think so. What if the game loses its trend from the people and all you can do is play your video game in world class? then what will you do?

My point is, It is obviously fun to make enough money and have fun on what you are doing at the same time. I truely enjoyed my time when I was giving lessons and winning tournmanet in war3 and startcraft. However, I realized that earning good money doesnt necessary make you happy. I therefore now believe how you spend your money to enjoy your life is essential skill for a successful human being. Lets enjoy whatever you are doing and be wise!

No comments: